Friday, August 14, 2009

My bookworm


During the past couple of years I have been reading like crazy (73 books according to Goodreads)! I know exactly why this change has taken place. We are media deprived here in Germany (being deprived from this isn't all that bad), AND my sweet daughter Bailey has set the standard and example. Just this summer she was able to get her own library card and she treats it like a diamond in her chest of treasures. She is the ultimate book worm and I watched her, intrigued about the pull toward the big comfy couch, curled up with a book, oblivious to the world. Thankfully now I get to revel in that "curled up with a book, oblivious to the world" experience.

Just this week we were notified that she won the summer reading contest in her age group. She read 19 books since school let out. All while spending 2 weeks in Italy and another week in France. We had to beg her to look out the window while traveling, since her mind was in a different world having a different adventure. Once we arrived in Italy she couldn't wait to get to the base library to "check it out". Sometimes I get annoyed, like when I need her to set the table and she doesn't hear me because she is so taken. But I am proud of her and LOVE that she finds this avenue so rewarding, rather than an electronic avenue that could really eat up her time.

Maybe, just maybe, I will fill your request of setting a flashlight to the side of your bed and then letting YOU determine when your eyes close for the night. We'll see . . . .

Bailey was rewarded with a prize and will probably get her picture in the paper. Bailey, may you experience many more grand adventures and increased knowledge through your love of the written word.

Correction: She read 38 books, each bug was worth 2 books read. She won a board game, service bucks, and a card game PLUS the knowledge that she ROCKS!

6 comments:

bailey said...

it was actually 38 i just had 19 bugs! it was for every two books you read you get a stamp

Danette said...

Wow Bailey I'm impressed! I'm not sure that I have finish 38 books in my 33 years. Way to go.

Leslie, we need to schedule a skype call. I have much to tell you. I would love to hear about your visit to France as well.

Anonymous said...

BAILEY , BAILEY , BAILEY!!!!!
To say I am proud is an understatement, wow, wow, wow. I,m with Danette I don't think I have read 38 books in 59 years. So what was in the prize?
Love to you, Grandma

kristine said...

She is amazingly beautiful in numerous ways like her mamma!! I am so pleased and giddy when I read about you Bailey!! We love you and miss the dickens out of you! Keep it up girl you be telling me what to read here soon! Let mw know what's good!

Meriam said...

Wow Bailey!! That is awesome! You must belong to part of our family! Wade reads a big novel about once a week on his bus ride every day, and Alan used to read about a book a week or so. He can't do that as much anymore, but still reads every night. There is so much to learn in books and reading is a lost art!
I will send you a book that we just published by Jack Weyland, one of my very favorite Young Adult authors. It is called Samaritan Bueno. I hope you like it! Let me know what you think. I will get it in the mail to you Monday.

Kim said...

Bailey-- way to go!!!! I love to read and hope to someday find the time to get to do it a lot again. I wish I could get my boys to read that much! Any good books you want to suggest for my kids at school- I would love to have you send some reviews of what you liked and didn't like so much! BTW- you are looking so much like your mom- you are beautiful!!