Sunday, August 16, 2009

Finally France!

I have been excited to share our French experience but have been lacking the time and energy. France sure did show us a good time. We were extra excited to be able to share it with Mark's parents who came all the way from Texas to road trip with us.

The first grand site in Normandy is the Pont de Normandie which is a massive bridge with a amazingly steep incline so that ships can go under it.

We stayed in Grandmesnil for 3 nights which is in the southern part of Normandy. We wanted to experience the French countryside rather than the French cityscape, and we choose well. We stayed in an house that was originally an 18th century cider press. Normandy is know for 2 things besides D-Day, Camembert cheese and Calvados. Calvados is a brandy made from apples, hence the need for cider presses.
A nice English couple were our hosts and after they met the girls they introduced them to their sheep, dogs, horses and cows as well as their 4-wheeler and swimming pool. I think we got a little extra attention. Personally I think the English chap had a crush on my mother-in-law and in return we got extra perks. Yipee!



The girls both posed and sang outside their bedroom window playing the part of the princess Giselle in "Enchanted"

We had great day trips out and about and came back each night in time to cook a meal, eat outside on the patio and "chill". Poor Bailey, she gave up on the planned excursions, begging us to get back to the house so that she could ride the 4 wheeler, feed the sheep, play with the doggies, and go swimming. The girls would have been content to run all over their land searching for adventure until they dropped into bed at night. If you ask Bailey what the best part of France was for her: driving the 4 wheeler!



Unfortunately, our first day trip ended up being one of the most frustrating days we have encountered since arriving in Europe 3 years ago. We went to Mont St. Michel which is a breathtaking abbey built on an mountain on an island. When the tide is in, it is an island but when it is out (like the day we went) it is just a huge mountain in the middle of a vast beach. The view driving upon it was fabulous, but as we got nearer we realized all of the rest of the people in Europe decided to come to the Mont on the same day. It was obscenely crowded and the parking was of the worst organization I have ever seen. We made it up to the first level, slammed our bodies up against everyone else and decided seeing the perimeter was going to have to make due. Then we waited 2 hours to get out. I was really disappointed because I had done a lot of reading about the abbey and was looking forward to it. No, I'm not going back another time to re-do it . . . ever.



The two best things to come out of that day was first, we finally had traveling companions with us so that we could have a family picture taken and second, I really had fabulous lipstick on that day. It was a bold choice, Revlon's fire and ice, but finally for the love of all that is good, I had some color on my face. Bold lipstick is a little unnerving at first but what the heck . . . I like it so much I'm finding myself wanting to put it on in the morning before I even brush my teeth . . . interesting eh?


I'll continue to share our trip, I still have to talk about Omaha Beach, Honfleur and then our detour to my absolute favorite European city, Brugge Belgium. It is a true gem and I want to pluck it up and put it in my pocket to carry with me forever.

5 comments:

Smith Family said...

Nice lips! It's always nice when you can get a family picture in here and there on trips.
We ran into people from the AMC hot brass band at Scott that knew you guys. Ya'all are popular!

Anonymous said...

What a perfect place to experience the French country side. Looked like a blast!!
Oo La La to the new color.
The Abby looks very interesting,sorry you could not see more, "tourist" can be such a pain.
Miss you all, Grandma

kristine said...

Umm.. I will read all the details when I am not hugging and kissing on my sweetheart.. but jeepers! I want to go there too!! Thanks for the love and for everything.. you mean the world and have done a world of fabulous things for us!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Laurel said...

Love the lips! Sorry about the frustration. I felt that way when we went to Giverny. It was like, "Did everyone have the same good idea that we did for the weekend?" I am completely jealous of your trip because this was one of our must-sees for our "supposed" last year in Europe...oh well.

Danette said...

I like the fancy lips looks good with the red shirt and all. You go!!
Perhaps it is better to visit the Abbey when the tide is high and harder to get too? Looks really cool though. Oh and the 18th century cider press house to stay looked wonderful as well. Wish I could fit in your pocket as well.