Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm a team captain! Do you wanna play?

So I have a new project that I feel very passionate about and that is Operation Baking GALS.

It is a great concept that is being carried out all over the world and now I get to be a part of it! Basically the project involves sending home baked goods to our troops down range. Yes, they get fed down there, yes they get packages from home BUT how cool would it be to get bombarded with treats so that they can share the love?! Well I just think is sounds too good to not be a part of. The cool part is that ANYONE can participate no matter where you live.

Baking is done in rounds so that all teams ship during the same week. Each team has a team captain that sponsors a soldier and organizes her team to ship to the lucky guy. I participated in Round 3 and now I'm a team captain in Round 4! Which is so cool because then I get to pick the soldier to be showered in sugar!

Here is my pick for this round: (this is my recruiting statement from the Baking Gals site)

Hello fellow bakers and "do gooders"! My name is Leslie and this is my first time hosting a team for this great endeavor! I am an Air Force wife currently living in Germany. I baked for a different team during round 3 and had so much fun I thought, what the heck, I'll host. Especially because I have two, that's right people, TWO very deserving soldiers to recruit for, Captain Terry and Hammons. Both are Army Dentists that do an excellent job at maintaining the smiles of our soldiers down range.

Love those safety reflectors, no deep cover there guys!

In their dental unit there are approximately 25 Soldiers that will benefit from our sweet treats. This group of professionals see aprox. 1000 soldiers per month doing everything from fillings to rootcanals to crown and bridge work to dentures. They service a patient population of 60,000 soldiers and another 60,000 Third Country Nationals, Contractors, etc. on an emergent basis. So fellow bakers join my team and let's send our sweet creations and well wishes over to these great soldiers that could use a little lift! If you are interested in joining team Fab Four either hop on over to the site or give me a comment that you are interested. Your reward will be the joy of baking and knowing that you have lifted a soldier's heart and put a smile on his face!

So now I'm recruiting my friends, family and neighbors to join my team! Just jump on over to the site and register (this does not by any means tie your hands into baking, although I love a good reason to play in butter, sugar and more sugar) but by doing this you can sign onto my team! Seriously consider this, it is really fun, involve your kids in the project, they will be so excited. Show them their picture tell them what they are doing and how this will help make them feel appreciated and pampered for a bit. AND depending on how this goes, I'll try again to be selected as a team captain and then I get to sponsor another one of my good buddies, maybe even your sweetie! GO, NOW, get onto team Fab Four and let the baking commence!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO I SIGNED UP, TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT & GRANDMA'S ON BOARD!

Kim said...

me too- all registered- tell me what to do!!!! This will be fun for the kids and I hate to cook :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe Mom and I can tag team this weekend and get those sweet treats going. :)

Paul and Holly Domm said...

I'm so excited to start this-just give me the details and I'm in! PS-I'm so glad you were able to get a break(even if it meant being incapacitated/sick as a dog!)-the food Mark made looked great!

Jamie Link said...

ok Leslie I'm signed up and ready!
I saw the date was Oct 30 through Nov 10 so My mom and I will bake when she gets here.

Marie said...

Well I sure can't pass up helping a few fellow soldiers of which are married to some fabulous women I happened to know! Count me in!

Anonymous said...

I signed up too! What a great way to do what I love for people who deserve it! Thanks for the oppurtunity!Just fill me in on the details.
Heather Hulse

Mandy said...

Hey Leslie, I'm on board too. I just signed in and think it is a great idea. I am looking forward to getting my kids involved and teaching them some service. Speaking of kids involved I will post on next Monday (27th) your Team and info for my Family Moment Monday blog post. Maybe you will get a few more people before it is time to send the goodies.

~*~Scura~*~ said...

Mom and I want to help... but why in your email did you say, 'Oh, yeah Rays look out'? Are there other rays out there?

Michelle said...

Leslie - I hope I'm not too late! I just signed up today! Hopefully I'm not too late!!! Ü