Friday, March 19, 2010

Yup, here we go again . . .

Oh yeah folks, we are in for it again. We are doing it kicking and screaming with a little crying on the side but we are in. What may you ask are we in for?? Another deployment. during Thanksgiving. and Christmas. Bah Humbug.

Here is a little clip that the military reporters are doing on the band that Mark is in. Bittersweet as he is not going down with the same group, who by now are like a second family. But the job is the same and hopefully the result will be the same: increasing troop morale downrange.



I think reality really set in this week. Mark was tasked to take a course in Combatives so that he can be certified to take the knowledge back to the group and teach them. Yes, combatives, learning how to defend yourself from the enemy in hand to hand combat. It has been a grueling week for Mark both mentally and physically. He falls into bed each night completely exhausted. We are seeing the results of the course all over his face as he has been hit, punched and scratched. He has bruises all over his arms and the look on his face each night is not the look I want to see anymore. This has not gone over well with us girls. McKenna was horrified and has pleaded in her prayers each night that "the mean guys will stop hitting her Dad". I want the "mean guys to stop hitting my man". But it is over, he passed and we will help him recuperate all weekend long. At least the next time we are in Paris (because we are going again, I tell you, soon . . . or else) Mark will be able to defend my honor in case a Frenchman gets a little too close for comfort or someone set's their eyes on my Vera Bradley purse. They'll never know what hit them.

God Bless the USA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great strong man , What super strong family. To hard for us to here too as I leave for work w/ tears. Love to you all and have a chill weekend, MOM
April can't come soon enough!!!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. GREAT INTERVIEW MARK! ALWAYS GOOD TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING, mom

Danette said...

Mom's right what a strong family. It's crazy to me that he has to take a combat class and come home with bruises. CrAzY!!! I hope the transition in the band goes smooth. Thinking of you guys always...

The Mortensens said...

I can't believe he has to take a combat class. That's crazy! Good luck with the deployment.

Laurie said...

I, too, am sitting here at work with tears in my eyes, picturing in my minds eye what he has to endure and what you have to see when he comes home. It's CRAZY that, as a musician, he has to take these combat classes, but then again, I'm glad he's taking them. When they send him to those places to restore the morale of our ladies and gentlemen serving in the scary places, I'm glad he has that knowledge and capability.... Just in case, Heaven forbid....

We love you Mark. And we Love you too Leslie, Bailey and Mckenna. I'm counting the seconds until I get to hug you in person.

Aunt Laurie

Anonymous said...

Seriously? Again??? Unbelievable!!!!!

Not that I could do much, but... I wish I were there to give each of you a hug, and Mark a bag of ice for all the battle bruises.

Kick AND scream my friends!

On a different note... it was great seeing you again, Mark! I miss my Frandsen's.

Laurel said...

I am sorry about that! I am sure that must be very difficult. I know that you don't want him to be deployed again, but you will get through it like before. Any idea how long he will go?

kristine said...

Man oh man! What a neat segment on a great band! But I feel for you my sweet. Travis is away today.. for weeks starting work in Austin!! Which is fabulous but I am back to sad sally for the moment as it sinks in again.. I get along once i get going but its the getting up and going with belly and move ahead that is daunting.. but Oh ho ho!! You'll be mine maybe in TX soon! I look forward to reunions and settling in!!