Friday, December 11, 2009

Take a look, this is big!

I know what you are thinking, why in the world is she posting about a stack of paper? Only THIS stack of paper is symbolic of the following: blood, sweat and tears (mostly mine), late late nights, basement office dwelling, lots of new gray hair (mostly his), insomnia (him again), single parenthood (that would be me), huge financial expense but because I'm already trying to implement a New Year's resolution to be more positive it also represents dedication, intelligence, perseverance, self control, patience, and hopefully in the future a reward that we can understand. I'm so puffed up with pride for my husband it could be bordering on sinful.

It is Mark's dissertation, complete to the point of turning in copies to his committee back at Tech. In January he will fly back to Texas to meet this committee and defend this stack of paper. Once they accept it, which they will or by golly they'll have to deal with one heck of a woman with attitude, we patiently wait out the spring until graduation. At that point he'll be given a sole 81/2 x 11 piece of paper that says he is a Doctor. But remember folks, not one that can save a life (except maybe mine, over and over and over) BUT one that can entertain the socks off you and tell you a lot about the Bass players in Weather Report, which is the subject of this dissertation.

We still have questions on what this degree means to Mark, after all he is secure with his military job right now, meaning he is still enjoying it and the lifestyle it provides us. But things are changing, more deployments mostly likely, which will be a factor in staying in. Plus you just NEVER know what the future holds in the military. Lot's of factors, which I won't bore you with, my fellow military friends know what I am talking about. All we know for sure is that this degree needed to be completed whether it was just about learning a lesson in perseverance and self control or whether it will be a factor in sustaining this family at some point, it had to be done. We tried to run from it a couple of times, but Heavenly Father has made it clear, "get 'er done".

Likely, Mark won't know what to do with himself now. Oh, never worry dear husband of mine, I have ideas. First thing, we'll turn that basement dwelling office of a dungeon back into a place of refuge and relief. Practice room combined with a room that you can go to, to listen to the things that your wife doesn't enjoy ( he will forever be a fan of the rock hard rock)

Another thought, Bailey is following along in his scholarly footsteps, she made honor roll again this quarter along with every quarter since the beginning of quarters in her life. But, she has been one to point out that she never wants to do this thing that Daddy is doing, you know, the one that takes him away from us. Never fear, the end is near!

8 comments:

traci said...

That's one FINE looking dissertation! Congrats Frandsen family! I say family because you all sacrificed for this huge event to be finally over. WOO HOO!!!
Traci

Danette said...

Well Done Mark!!! Congrats I know it's been a difficult path but it will all pay off in the future I'm sure of it. YaaaHooo!!! We are proud of you for seeing it through. Now go be with your girls!! love you

Anonymous said...

TEARS OF JOY ARE ON MY CHEEKS FOR MARK!! I LOVE YOU FOR SO MANY REASONS AND SO PROUD TO CALL YOU MY SON IN LAW. Hurray to all the girls for their understanding and years of support! Words just don't express how truly happy I am for all of you.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL , LOVE MOM

Laurel said...

WOW!!! So glad that he finished it! Good job Mark! I know that that is one heavy weight that you are glad to take off your back. Good luck with your defense!

Laurie said...

We're all cheering for you here! You have one big back up band ready to play with you in any capacity!

I, too, am so proud of you, Mark And also to the girls, as it truly is a family experience.

Congratulations on a such a HUGE accomplishment!

Love you,

Laurie

Anonymous said...

That a great accomplishment!!! Congrats to the both of you and Mark... Well done!!!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Way to go brother! I am so proud to be your sister! I always love listening to you play and have always been impressed with your motivation for education. Way to hang in there til the end! Love you, Kelly

Meriam said...

Way to go Frandsen Family!!!!!!
I am so proud of you! Wish you could be closer to Utah, but I am so glad you guys ar happy!
Good luck in Texas Mark. Where in Texas do youhave to go??