Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Brand new school year with a McKennaism on top

It is amazing how fast fall has descended on us here in Germany. On Bailey's first day of school we were able to go outside to take her picture on the balcony. But this week on McKenna's first day of school it was still very dark and we had to shoot inside. I . . . hate . . . . harsh . . . . . light. And yes, I even played with my white balance, no luck.


When McKenna came home from school yesterday this is the conversation we had:

Mom "How was your first day?"
McKenna "Great, there is a Billy in my class so now I have two"
Mom "How do you have two Billy's?"
McKenna "Moooomm, you know, my sister, biLAY"

It is so funny how this one word continues to evolve into this thick southern accent. It is getting farther away from the real pronunciation as the years go on. Just in the past couple of months, I find people asking McKenna, "Is Billy your brother? I didn't know you had a brother". McKenna's exasperated reply is always, "biLAY is my sister" and she doesn't end it with "duh" but I can see her restraint.

Just for fun scroll down to the bottom of my blog and look at the super cool silhouette widget I found. Had to have it as soon as I saw the Dad with shorts standing like he is, that is classic Mark, laid back and wearing shorts year round. But hey, it shows off his calves and we all know how much I like that.

6 comments:

Danette said...

BiLAY's school picture is super cute! So is McKenna's. It is all of the sudden fall here as well all the leaves are changing and the nights are cold.

D&D Miller said...

did you see that family blackout thing from my site? I found it from someone elses site. We know our "Last Day" in Germany, Nov 9th. It's going to be here soon. I miss you in YW but I know you will be great in RS. You really do have lots of great ideas and you teach straight up honest. I like that, and the girls liked that. Lealie I have learned a lot from you and I wish I had more time to hang out.

Diane

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys... McKenna and BiLAY too!!!!!!

Becky

Meriam said...

Wow! How these kids have grown!!!
Hope they both love school this year!

Laurel said...

That's hilarious! I can see her saying "duh" too. I am glad that school is underway. Are you up to your usual goals...scrapbooking, learn German, photography, clean the house? Any in particular?

Kim said...

Hey- speaking of school- wanna have a visit from Flat Stanley again?? Brandon's turn! Can we send it to ya? Will you send me your address if you are willing to have a guest again for awhile :)

THANKS!!
Kim :)