Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Caorle Italy


I just thought I would start right out of the gate with my most favorite day of the trip, Caorle Italy. Right off the coast at the top of the boot. It is a fantastic little village that is so colorful my eyes couldn't find a place to rest which of course meant that I was completely trigger happy with my camera. Caorle is as colorful as a gelateria with thousands of flavors to offer.

We started the day at the beach, already off to a good start!




After doing our best to clean up, McKenna and I conquered the city by foot while Mark went "to work". Bailey could not tear away from the stage during set up and sound check. The great thing about European cities, big or small, is that the most exciting part of the city is usually closed to any motorized vehicle, so it is you and a whole bunch of others walking, talking and window shopping all out of doors. You overhear conversations in Italian, French, German, Spanish and of course the British English which is my favorite because first, I understand them and second it is sexy, it just is. Here are some shots of the splendid colors of Caorle. All the shots are of the living quarters above the stores.




Look at the red one with the blue shutters. Someone stole my house that I didn't even know that I had. I was so drawn to this one. The owner probably became a little paranoid to see a weird American staring into their shutters but I did not care. I just love it. You know, I find myself caring less and less about "what others will think" when we are out traveling. If I want to see something, touch something, taste something I do it, well unless it is a priceless piece of art that will get me thrown into jail forever! Really, even if I do embarass myself, I will most likely never see them again and I don't want to have any regrets. Well, except when I come back to claim my red villa with the the blue shutters. Won't that day be embarassing!

Of course we had to refresh ourselves, multiple times mind you, with gelatto. We. can. not. get. enough. Well, that isn't true, on our second to the last day Bailey turned it down! What the?! But who can blame her when her parents forced it on her 2-3 times per day. We spent a million euro on gelatto, I do not feel guilty, that was euro well spent. Plus we came across flavors we had not experienced before such as watermelon, coconut, mango . . . all on top of the main Frandsen favorite strachitella (that is probably a blundered spelling) basically vanilla with chocolate magic shell bits mixed in, only it is magic shell from heaven, not earth. McKenna was so funny, ordering "pink" everytime to find that each one tasted so different.

The night ended with a cool refreshing drop in temperature, a rockin band with a hot bass player, more gelatto, lots of dancing with just a bit of a meltdown from the 4 year old. She basically just passed out after that and peace was regained. What a great day!

I hope to add more tomorrow, we were there for 12 days which is impossible to blog with one post. I had such a great time with my camera on this trip. Every time we went to a gig or a city or anything I found such fascinating things to shoot. Believe it or not, I shot more scenery than children this time around. I want to print them all out and cover my bedroom walls from top to bottom. That way I have my own little "happy place" that I don't have to imagine in my head, I can just look at my walls and take big deep breaths. Aaaahhhh!

5 comments:

Laurel said...

That sounds great, and I love your pictures! We too are filling up a ton on gelato, and while I can get enough of it, Camille never seems to get enough. She had so much the other day, she threw up in the middle of the night, so we are pacing her a little now. She too loves the pink flavors, but her favorite of all is lemon. Glad you had a great trip. Were you there the whole time? Or just on the coast? How long was the drive? We are just in Florence and melting so I bet it was really hot!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful can't wait to see more.
Love grandma

Paul and Holly Domm said...

I love the pictures and your travel notes. Your blog never fails to please-as I enjoy these places vicariously and remember how much I love Italy-and the gelato! I'm so glad you guys had a good time, can't wait for more pictures and travel logs!

Angela said...

Ditto Holly! I love reading your blog, Leslie. It's such a treat!

Lisa said...

I'm going to have to stop reading your blog if you continue to go to fabulous places I never heard of and getting the most fabulous photos I've ever seen.

Serious, really. Stop. It. Now.