Maybe the reason I had a more difficult time with this separation than I thought I would have, is that there wasn't enough oxygen in the air. I'm not kidding, I often found myself not able to take a deep satisfying breath. I would breath in and it would stop at the very end and not feel complete. I even went to the doctor, he gave me an inhaler, I used it often. So, how interesting is it that as soon as Mark was in my line of sight and enveloped me in his arms, I took a deep satisfying breath that felt like oxygen was being delivered to every cell in my body. Instant relief I tell you.

The paper chain that we took great joy in tearing down every day is gone. It finally met it's match yesterday. The last one was ripped away and discarded. The girls were ecstatic. I sent them to school, not to be mean but to distract them for the morning. I needed distraction to keep me from looking at the clock every 2 minutes. Looks like it worked, I was plenty distracted, we were late! Can you believe that, last to arrive, running to the terminal while all my good band friends were holding their cell phones ready to call to find out where we were. I should just tell them I'm LDS, always 10 minutes late for everything. But not late enough for a pre-reunion photo op . . . I'm a scrapbooker, I'm not ashamed of my neurotic need to shoot everything in life.

McKenna was so funny last night. She has now learned in her young 4 year old life that there is something intensely and joyfully better than the anticipation of Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. The anticipation of Daddy coming home. Isn't that the way it should be? The child was beside herself with giddiness, almost drunk if you excuse my analogy. As she said her bed time prayers she would stop, unfold her arms, lift her hands to her cheeks and giggle uncontrollably. "One more sleep til Daddy comes home".
At the terminal the good 'ol military way of life decided a little more torture was necessary in the name of security purposes. We had to greet him with a big, glaring, cold, stupid glass wall between us. Are you kidding me??? If you look closely at the video you can just see McKenna willing her way through the glass to touch him. Bailey couldn't wait to show him her cool "shining star" award. Torture I tell you.
Finally we were able to get our hands on him. Really folks, it's a little unfair, he is tan, buff and oh so yummy. I think the AF is pulling the wool over our eyes, the band was sent on a vacation not a deployment. I'll have to really investigate and interrogate to get to the bottom of this. Plus investigating and interrogating my husband will be oh so fun.
We are all fighting for his attention. Even last night as Mark and I were "getting reacquainted" in the kitchen if you know what I mean ;) McKenna came in, stood very patiently waiting, then fell on the floor crying, "I need my Daddy to play with me, right now!" It wasn't just a 4 year old spoiled "I want to get my way" tantrum. It was heart-felt plea with huge crocodile tears, she physically and mentally needed him. I had to be the bigger, more mature person and let her have him. Darn maturity and responsibility!
So how do I have time to blog now that he is home? Well, folks, the man is half dead. He finally has a bed, not a bunk, it is not 120 degrees with sand blowing in every nook and cranny, and he is taking advantage of a day off before he goes back to work tomorrow. You heard me right, TOMORROW! Can you believe that?! Yes, there are expletives spewing forth but I won't violate your innocent eyes. I think he might sleep the whole day. Next week we get him to ourselves for a week and a half!!!
So here is our before picture (from Mother's Day):

And here is our after picture:

Now, let's go home and be a real family again!!!

Oh and because I can, here is a shot of the cake I made myself and my friends for Mother's Day. She was a real beauty! Helped to fill the void a little then fill up my hips and behind, totally worth it.
15 comments:
Sweet Reunion! So glad he is home safe and sound and you are a complete family again. Well done Mark and Leslie.
PS that cake looks so yummy
I'm poaching Danette's account so I can comment as I don't have a blogger account :) At any rate, I loved the vids and Mark glad you're home buddy! Big smiles all around on both sides of the ocean -Gary M
Yeah!!! I am so happy for all of you. Your reunion brought tears to my eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't blog for a good long time because you are giving all your time to your man. Have fun on your travels!
Welcome home Mark!!!
Everyione here at work is wondring why I am crying, they just don't dare ask! What a tender, sweet blog! Have a wonderful reunion....you deserve it.
This is the best post ever! Welcome Home Mark! Horray for Leslie!!! I'll talk to you in a couple weeks after the reunion has tamed down a bit :) Have fun!
Beautiful cake! Welcome back home Mark, I think the family missed you. :-)
Not only did your family miss you my dear friend, Mark. The USAFE Band just wasn't the same.
Leslie, Bailey, and McKenna... you guys did it! Congratulations!!!!!
Your friend,
Becky
ok...yeah that glass, hopefully they didn't keep you waiting on the other side of it for 1 1/2 hours like they did me the last time...so close, but yet so far!
My first thought in that video was "Leslie in that skirt and leather jacket? Hubba hubba! But, then realized, I was having the same issue as McKenna, he just hadn't come out yet and they all looked alike in those uniforms!
Glass windows what the hay... Torture for sure!!!!!
What a relief to see you back safe we will all sleep & live better knowing your home. Leslie , Bailey, Mckenna we are proud of you. You all did a great job of taking care of one another. Mark we are greatful for your sacrifice & never could be more proud of you!!
Now go enjoy being a family again. We love you all so much. MOM & DAD #2
WAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! FABULOUS DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!! I AM SO HAPPY!!!! I can't wait for one of those! And that was torture for me to even watch the glass between you.. I remember what it felt like to see Travis home at R&R I wanted to grab him and steel him away.. Happier than I have ever been in a long long time.. no feeling or experience than being apart can describe the joy to seeing them again in the flesh! I am so glad you are home Mark and that your girls have you again!
Much Love from us hammons!!
Well, we are so glad, too!
We look forward to our welcome home barbecue!!
See you tomorrow!
Claudia
Your video totally brought tears to my eyes!! We're so glad the family is together again. (You're a better person than I; I pushed the kids out of the way! Me first!)
Oh, I'm bawling my eyes out!!! I am SO HAPPY you have your hubby/Daddy back!!! Many congrats to all of you for conquering this huge test! Mark, thank you for your service and sacrifice. Leslie, Bailey and McKenna - You did it! Way to go! I am in serious admiration! Love you all so much!!!
I love reunions!!!! They totally make the heartache that you felt for so long seem to disappear. I am so happy you are together again. I remember how hard it was to send Josh back to work the very next day after he came home. The militarys way to help families readjust (WHAT EVER!!!). Have Fun having your hubby back!!
the vids brought tears to my eyes! I miss you guys and I'm glad that the Fab 4 is back together again!
Love you guys!
Keisha
Post a Comment