Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Girl's!

I feel like it has been forever since I've posted. A couple of days after Mark left my mom, sister and niece came to help me "through". We were busy little bees doing lots of shopping, eating, more shopping, more eating, and then topped it off with a little more shopping. Isn't it funny how spending money can mend a broken heart, well, not completely mend, but it does put a large band-aid on it. I'm hoping to add a few future posts about their visit, it was a doozy, but it was wonderful.

The day after Mark left, Bailey completed a very large school project that I wanted to share. Her class hosted a wax museum for black history month, where each student picked a famous figure to portray. They had to compose a report on their figure's life history, dress the part and then recite their reports from memory. They had to stand very still and recite their report as museum attendees pushed the button at their "exhibit". I was impressed, all of the children did so well. I could tell they were nervous but were so motivated to do a good job. I think they did! Here is Bailey as, you guessed it . . . Aretha Franklin:



Keisha, you would have been so proud. She sung her heart out!
This is Bailey with her teacher, Mrs Stevens, on the day of the museum's grand opening!

I also have a few additions to my growing list of McKennaism's:

1. "Dad, you are the best Dad ever!" Dad replies, "Thank you, you are the best McKenna ever" McKenna rebukes, "No, Dad, I'm the best rockstar ballerina ever!"

2. This is the conversation Mark had with her during "Read across America" week at school, during which they celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday. McKenna says, "I'm so sad that Dr. Seuss died." Mark consoles her, "Me too, but at least we still get to read his books" Classic McKenna: "I'm gonna email Jesus and ask him to take good care of Dr. Seuss"

4. While talking to my mom at breakfast she is asking questions about our day. My mom says something like, "We are going out today so we have to get up very early" McKenna replies, "What's a furilly?"

3. We are making slow progress with McKenna's severe allergy to church, particularly primary (children's sunday school). For some reason primary makes her suddenly and violently "sick and tired". Right after the closing prayer in our main meeting (she is supposed to go to primary after this) she instantly becomes ill. Sunday, as we are walking down the hall to class, she is stopping everyone, whether she knows them or not and says, "I'm sick so I can't go to class today", "Hey, I can't go to class today cause I'm sick, cough, cough", "My mom is taking me home because I'm sick and I can't go to class" blah blah blah. What the heck, primary is the most entertaining of the sunday block of church! She just hasn't figured this out yet . . .

Here is the project we worked on to help the girls understand when Mark will be home. We made a paper chain, one link for each day he is gone. They both go straight to the chain each morning to tear off another link. I don't even have to remind them to do this. Several times McKenna has said, "Mom, it's getting shorter!" Two weeks down, we have survived!

8 comments:

Laurel said...

Wow Bailey! That was impressive! I bet you got an A on that report.

I loved all the Mckennaism's, especially the one with the whole "No Dad..." response. I can picture her saying that. How much longer is Mark gone?

Keisha Gwin said...

Bailey my sweet! You have done it again! You become more and more impressive each day! I wish I could have been there to see you in action! Thanks for portraying one of my favorite vocalists in the world...she is amazing, and so are you!

Leslie, thanks for sharing! I miss you guys so much! I'm planning my next trip to Germany...but of course it will have to be post-deployment....unless I can figure out a way to divert my deployment there...hmm...I may be on to something;)

Anonymous said...

You have survived, I am proud of you Leslie, hey I have an offer for you, I am going to give you a call!!!

sherisse said...

ok, it simply makes me cry to read your blog and see the precious pictures of your girls and their Dad. Oh how I wish we had a chain like yours. You just never know what life is going to through you and if you can catch it or not. It's just nice that the Lord sends blessings as well as hard times. You will be blessed with Mark again real soon and oh how sweet it will be to have him in your arms. You are so amazing to me and same with Mark, you two are very lucky to have each other. I feel very lucky to have had Jason and now to have Greg, he is such a blessing to me. So if you are coming to Utah in June I would love to see you. I made him promise that we can come visit you sometime before you leave Germany, so I promise I'm still coming. love ya!

Meriam said...

Great Job Bailey!!! I am impressed!
THe chain is a great idea Leslie.
I hope you ladies had a great visit!
Keep the faith, and Mckenna, Jesus Wants YOU for a Sunbeam!!!!

Jamie Link said...

Bailey you rock and thanks for the comment on my blog...it was awesome and I have two very cool pics of your dad on my facebook page...from a week ago, maybe I could stop by for 10 seconds tomarrow after you guys get home from church so you can see him....I promise these two pics are cool!

Anonymous said...

Bailey, you are THE one. Rock on! Love the hair -- was it a wig or your own? Where did you get that beautiful dress?

Melanie said...

You go, girl!! MY bailey.