Monday, August 4, 2008

Ciao!

So we were lucky to travel with Mark during a "working holiday" this past week as the band did a 10 day tour in northeast Italy. I LOVE Italy! This is our second time and both times I just instantly relax as we cross borders. Maybe it is the relaxed lifestyle, beautiful scenery, fab Italian food or the gelato. Whatever it is, take me there.

The guys had one day off during the tour and so we took advantage and rode the train into Venice. Here is Paul a.k.a. screamin' guitar player with McKenna teaching her how to be a card shark. Oh yea baby, she's a quick learner!


I was skeptical of how I was going to like Venice, many people told me I would hate it! Hate it?! How can you hate such a romantic and dreamy city?! They said it would be crowded, hot, stinky and expensive. It was all that but not stinky, thank goodness. Here is how I feel about Venice:

Venice is fascinating to me, the whole city on an island but the island is under water so really it is a city built on the water. No cars because there are no roads. Transportation is either by foot or boat and by boat in the form of a Venetto, water taxi or gondola. We choose the Venetto so that we could tour the entire Grande Canal without spending our life savings on a 20 minute gondola ride. Your lucky if your house doors, front and back, open to a narrow street, otherwise you are swimming in the Adriatic Sea! I kept waiting for Jason Statham and Mark Wahlberg to come zooming out of a narrow passageway on a sweet ride fleeing from the Italian police with their shirts off. . . remember "The Italian Job"?. . . oh and they need Mark's help and he springs into action!. . . I'm getting distracted. I think the only frustration (and by only it really was just a passing thought as I ate gelato (twice) and pizza (twice) and shopped for Venetian glass) was that it was impossible to take really creative photo shots of this gorgeous city. Every time, a strangers head popped into the shot. . . so crowded. But I got the new one in the title above and the one below of the tower with the archway from the cathedral framing it.







Love that pretty glass!



So because I didn't get a gondola ride with my sweetie pie (really, 150 euro to spend 20 minutes making sure your 3 year old doesn't go for a swim, I think I'll wait until I'm alone with my hunny) I told Mark I at least wanted my picture taken with a Gondolier!


Hum, looks like I should have specified hot, young, dark Italian Gondolier please! I think Mark picked the oldest one with the most history of pizza intake but I can't complain, he was a good sport (meaning Mark and the dude) . We all got a good laugh. BUT just so everyone is clear, there were a bunch of the hot, young, dark ones to choose from . . . next time.

12 comments:

Krista said...

Oh that picture of the gelato...it sends me over the edge and I am packing right now! Glad you had a wonderful time. It is one of the places everyone should see once. It just has a special feeling, no matter how crowded it is!

Leslie said...

Krista, you said it perfectly, IT does have a special feeling!

Taralyn said...

Leslie, thank you soooo much for all your fun pictures! You are going to all the places that I would die to see! It's so nice to be able to experience it through your eyes!

Paul and Holly Domm said...

I too love Italy! I'm so glad you enjoyed Venice(I can't wait to go back). Ah the gelato, the pizza, the atmosphere...I love your picture with the gondolier,and your title picture is great! Can't wait to see you.

Kim said...

How fun-- I told Spencer I want tickets to come see you for Christmas :) Thanks for sharing all the neat experiences you are having!!

Michelle said...

Wonderful!!! I am SO happy for blogging - I love seeing all these beautiful places! And I feel like I'm so much closer to you! Thank you for sharing your experiences, thoughts and feelings. It's good to have this way to interact - makes the world seem a little smaller!

Keisha Gwin said...

On Venice....Bello Bello! I'm glad to see/read that you guys had an amazing time. I have really fond memories of Venice. I think I left a bit too early. Italy is my fav!

Welcome home:)

Laurel said...

Leslie, It looks like you had fun in Venice. I remember it being hot, crowded and stinky as well, but that was more than 10 years ago, and I think I am definitely ready to go back for a refesher. I am glad that you had a good time, even without the young, dark, hot gondollierer...or however you spell that.

Smith Family said...

GreAT pictures, Venice sounds fun. I've never had gelato! I guess I'll just have to take a trip to enjoy some. I love the gondalier picture and your description of him. HA HA!~!

Anonymous said...

How much fun is that!!! I want to go so bad!!! Thanks for sharing.

cropangel said...

Leslie I was looking at a few of Mandy's blogs as i have gotten into blogging lately. Love the Italy trip that would be fun one day to do. Here is my blog if you want to take a look at it.

http://cropangelsthoughts.blogspot.com/

the girls sure have grown up since you all left IL.

Sheryl Graul

kristine said...

Oh just seeing you.. you beauty, I am missing my buddy! I am so glad you blew off all those crummy poop heads who said Venice was no good.. it looks like it was amazing and fun! Only through the eyes of someone amazing can the FUN really be present!! Ha ha.. I have to laugh on your blog because I said poop heads.. but that is who they are.. we are one of a kind baby!